I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Monday, March 31, 2008

Random pictures

Hey guys, so I promised another blog with some more pictures. Just some random interesting things I thought you'd like to see.

Photobucket
When we first got to Takatz, Adam noticed there were a ton of little fish and stuff swimming around at night where the light from the house was shining down into the water. So the next night we fished some out with the net and found this guy... that's what most of the fish looked like. It's on the orange glove so you can see that it's completely see-thru. Pretty cool!


Photobucket
So you've see the shrimp before... they are huge. But half of them is just head. Here's just a close up on a shrimp head. I wanted to get a picture because of it's nose spike thing. It's probably the longest one I've seen... also pretty cool! And sharp!

Photobucket
So you might not know this but the female shrimp just carry the eggs around with them. Sometimes you get shrimp with the eggs still attached... thought you might find it cool to see. Also, if I do send shrimp home, I didn't want anyone to be completely surprised if they found one like that.


Photobucket
Eggs again. This is a Coonstripe shrimp, which is alot smaller than the normal kind we get. We don't usually keep them but I had never seen this color of eggs before.


Photobucket
Adam with some Yelloweye Rockfish that he caught.

Photobucket
Yelloweye is mostly head! This is how much is left after he cleaned the meat off... ALL of it almost!

Photobucket
So a little while after he threw those two Yelloweye carcasses into the water, a Bald Eagle tried to get it. It was a BIT too big for the eagle to carry but he wasn't giving up. I had NO idea they would even do this but he landed in the water and literally swam the carcass to the rock.

Photobucket
It took him about 10 minutes but he made it. Seems to be enjoying his find!

Photobucket
I have no idea what this is... kinda looks like a lobster though right? Anyhow, Adam found it somewhere... fishing or in a crab or shrimp pot. I dunno... it's cool though. By the way, it's fairly small. We had the goofy idea to superimpose something in there to make it look HUGE but it didn't work too well. It was only a few inches long.

Well enjoy the pictures! I'll be back to the hatchery Friday night if all is well with the weather. I'm about to head out now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Rebecca:

The pictures of the shrimp eggs are awesome. I've never seen anything like that. Actually I didn't even know that's what the head of a shrimp actually looks like. never gave it any thought when I'm eating them down.

Stay warm. We're heading into the 60's out here on the East Coast. The kids say hi.

John Czuba