I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Feeding begins

After a long stay at Takatz just babysitting the house, we FINALLY have fish and Adam and I finally have a “weekend” back at the hatchery. Grant and his boat “Heron” started delivering fish to us on Tuesday, March 25th. That day and the next day, he made 3 trips each day, each trip filling one pen. Unfortunately, both days, we were battling ice and slush on the top of the water. The weather on Tuesday was pretty crappy with lots of fat snowflakes creating a lot of slush on the top of the water and Wednesday it was more of an ice layer. If there is ice or slush in the pen when you pipe the fish in, the fish tend to jump on top of it since they are hitting saltwater for the first time, thus causing possible death. Thankfully, we’ve managed to clear the pens out pretty good before the boat comes. Wednesday, the weather turned for the better. The sun came out and helped to melt a lot of that ice. Thursday and Friday had only two trips and the weather was good so we didn’t have to worry about anything at all! We woke up Saturday to a bit of ice in the pens again but nothing too bad. We finished off the transfers with the last 4 pens and then we rode the boat back to the hatchery for our weekend.

Really we haven’t been doing much of anything though. We feed the fish the day AFTER they show up. So nothing on the first day (since the first 3 pens were filled), 3 pens to feed on the second day (but 3 more were filled), 6 pens to feed the next day, etc. It’s only a bag of food a day, seven times a day. The fish are barely eating now but we are giving them food for when they are ready to eat it. Thursday after work, the weather was really nice so we decided to head to the Hot Springs. They still have quite a bit of snow there but we still hiked up to the pools. They were the perfect temperature! It was really nice.

Besides that… humm…. I have pictures and that’s it!? I think I’m going to have to post another post tomorrow maybe because I have quite a few, mostly random, pictures. But first, let me introduce you to the brand new Takatz house! :-)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Alright I’ve decided to start a new section… it’s going to be my RECOMMENDATION section. Just because I have a few things I want to recommend to you.

RECOMMENDATIONS – First I have a few movie recommendations. Some of you might have seen one or both of these but I just saw them.

DAN IN REAL LIFE
– I can’t remember the rating… PG-13 I think but it’s a great movie. It’s pretty funny, kind of reminds me of my family because it’s a family setting the whole movie, and has a very good cast. Definitely go rent that.

INTO THE WILD – This movie is newly out on DVD and is rated R I believe. It’s about a guy who basically is tired of “society” and decides to get away from it all, backpacking across the country, but his main goal is Alaska. It’s a long one but it’s pretty good and based on a true story. *Note the Xtra Tuff Boots in the movie if you rent it. ;-)

Alright, my third recommendation may sound a little odd after two movies but I recommend trying some Yoplait Yogurt WHIPS if you haven’t! They are FABULOUS! Alright, they aren’t a new product but since I ate a great one this morning, thus putting it into my head to start this recommendation section, I had to give my opinion! I had Orange Crème this morning and it’s great… I had a Chocolate Raspberry Mousse one yesterday which was more like a dessert than yogurt, but did still have that yogurt taste. They have a few other chocolate mousse flavors, some fruit flavors… they are GOOD. Get some!

SHOUT OUT OF THE DAY – To the Grandmas, Grandma Czuba and Grandma Moser! Thanks for the mail!!

No comments: