I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Pictures of the week

UGHH I don't like this thing sometimes. WELL, I had a short post about my fairly boring week but I lost it. It just talked about how I had a pretty busy day on Tuesday but the rest of the week was pretty slow.

Tuesday I had to:
1) feed 2 round ponds of babies 6 times a day
2) feed a raceway full of babies 7 times a day
3) feed 41 round ponds of Coho
4) mort the big chinook in the saltwater pens

It was a busy day! But a little cute seal made my day. Wednesday Adam came back though... YAY! Thursday was just "one of those days..." Friday was boring and we got out early.

The whole point of this blog today was just some very random pictures I have to show...


Photobucket
I bought 3 amaryllis bulbs at home and brought them to Alaska. Finally I planted them a few weeks ago and two of them had already started growing IN the paper bag so I was worried that would stunt their growth. They were both the same variety, a salmon colored one. This was the day ONE bloom opened up all the way.

Photobucket
I took this today. This is the other plant actually but it has 5 blooms! I thought they only got 4!? Anyhow, they are beautiful right now. The other one has 3 blooms right now, but could get a few more. The 3rd bulb I had will produce a dark red bloom. When I planted it, it hadn't started growing already like the others, but it has shot up FAST! It's currently a few inches taller than the other two right now, though it just has the two green stalks right now. Oddly though, it looks like it is growing a third stalk at the very bottom. It isn't just a leaf... it is fat on top like it could have a bloom. It's only about 2 inches tall so I'll let you know. Can that happen!? A 3rd stalk?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tuesday, I was talking to mom about my busy day and we were talking about raceways. She wasn't sure what a raceway looked like even so I said I'd take a few pictures. These pictures almost look connected if you put them side to side, but the top picture is of the two raceways that we fill up with fish during spawning season. In the building at the end of the far left raceway is the shock box that we shock the fish and dump them on the table. The second picture are of the other two raceways back there. One of them is empty but the other is full of the baby chinook.

Photobucket

These are some of the baby chinook IN the raceway. They are pretty small right now.

AND NOW... The sad truth.... Just like in the human world, some fish babies are born with differences. While most of the fish are born normally, but some are born as....

Photobucket

Siamese twins! You do see this quite often. Unfortunately, they probably won't make it.

OR...


Photobucket

Two headed! Adam said he's never even seen this before so I felt lucky to catch a picture of it. Pretty crazy right!?

Here are a few other pictures too... I was basically walking around looking for random stuff to take pictures of after those pictures. So how about showing you some fish food...

Photobucket

This is some pretty small food we feed to the babies. It's .3 mm food. About like grains of sand.

Photobucket

Then there's this food... it's 2 mm food. We feed this to the Coho right now. They are pretty big fish... about 3-4 inches long. Not very exciting but though it would be interesting to show you the different sizes of food.

Alright, well that's all I have today. I suspect I'll get alot of comments about those "poor babies!" They are pretty crazy looking. You see some with one eye or none... those are usually blue. Some that are just shaped weird. Deformities in tails. The awesome orange albinos too! Its a part of life I guess! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you have a little farmer in you too! Nice flowers and a good growing job. Must come naturally! Sounds like you had a little more to take care of this week than you had planned on according to Melissa, since it sounded you were a little short-handed on the hatchery. I imagine you are happy some good company returned to see you too.
Weather here may be changing a little bit. I hope the snow melts down good. The "wascally wabbits" are chewing up some of my nursery stock. Shot a couple, but Elmer Fudd I ain't!
Love ya and miss ya! DAD