I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Sunday, April 6, 2008

The forgotten cool shots

Hey All!

Well I don't really have much for you guys this week. We had a short 4-day week at Takatz and we'll be heading back there later on today. It's currently raining, which is surprisingly the first real rain we've had in over about a week and a half. That'll help to fill up our Takatz water tank! Anyhow, that makes the boat ride down to Takatz fairly miserable but whatcha gonna do!?

The main reason I posted was because upon talking to Mom the other day, I realized I forgot to post a few cool shots I took. Adam and I were out in the boat a week ago and somehow found this little stick that had 6 little clusters of eggs wrapped around it. The cool thing is they were different colors and you could see that the eggs were in different stages of growth. One cluster had eyes, another cluster almost did...

Photobucket
You can definately see the cluster with the eyes. I'm not sure what they are from... or if it's from the same animals, but probably. Adam guessed maybe Rockfish eggs. I have a feeling that dark cluster is the same as the lighter ones but since they are so far developed, the fish inside make them alot darker.

Photobucket
Here you can see alot better the development. Eyes in the one cluster, but in the other 4, you can see spots. Not sure if that's what will develop into the eye. If you click the picture to make it larger you can see it better. The three on the left have just one large spot but the one on the right side looks like it has a few spots clustered together. Perhaps cells in division??

Photobucket
I was looking at this cluster closer and touched one of the eggs and the casing was so thin, the fish came out. So that's what the fish looks like... whatever kind it is? Those eggs must have been just about ready!

Photobucket
So this is my goofy picture from Baranof the other day. My brown Xtra Tufs match nicely with my brown Victoria's Secret bathing suit... I should suggest it for the catalogue!? :-D

So that's really about all I have.... I'm in the process of trying to figure out a food order. It's pretty hard though. I haven't even SEEN last weeks food! See, we put the food order in on Monday (Or Sundays from now on)... then we go to Takatz. The food comes on Wednesday... but we don't get back to the hatchery until Friday. Then Andy and Anna take the food to Takatz. Now I have to place another order to come Wednesday when I really have no idea what food we have (and what food Andy and Anna have eaten over the past two days) at Takatz! So think about that the next time you are wandering the aisles of Hardings or Meijers or whatever grocery store you visit! :-)

RECOMMENDATION - I do have on Recommendation today. Do any of you watch the show called How I Met Your Mother? Well I highly recommend it! With our Netflix, we decided to get some tv show episodes because 1) we are running out of movies, 2) 1 disc is like 8 episodes so it's almost like getting a bunch of short movies! So we weren't sure what to get and Adam suggested this show. He'd seen a few of the first episodes and remembered it was funny. Well let me tell ya! It's GREAT!

We started on the 1st season (obviously) but they are on the 3rd season on tv now. I guess it's on CBS on Mondays at 9pm I think. Well I'm not sure if the episodes are the same way but I'll tell you how the first 8 episodes are. The whole thing is narrated by "the dad" aka Bob Saget (the former dad on Full House) who is telling the story to his kids in the year 2030 about how he met their mother. Then it jumps to 2005 to the younger "him" and his group of friends. The first episode you are pretty sure you have met the future mother.... but you don't. Each episode is the same... It's all about this guy and his friends (who are in their mid to late 20s) and his quest to find a woman to marry and their lives. It's definately a very funny show! Half the cast are people I know from movies, Jason Segel from the recent Knocked Up, Allyson Hannigan from the American Pie movies, and Neil Patrick Harris aka the former "Doogie Howser." As for the other two main characters, I've never seen them before but that doesn't mean they aren't great also! This is definately a great show to catch!

SHOUT OUT OF THE DAY - VALERIE, HAPPY 22nd tomorrow! YAY!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Golly Becky!
Been working so hard all week that I forgot to check your blog out. I like the bikini-boot combo. Definitely a knockout.

DAD