I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunny Side Up!

HEYYYY-YO!

So you know how last blog talked about how Mother Nature was playing mean games and giving us snow?? Well she was very nice to us this week. It was sunny all week, which was such a nice change! It was probably in the mid to lower 50s I guess but definitely felt warmer. We were lying out on our deck in the afternoon a few days and it feels really warm up there because it gets direct sunlight and the house is covered with a dark green metal, which is about 80 or 90 degrees to the touch! We had a little bit of wind a few days but not too bad. THANK YOU MOTHER NATURE!

There really isn’t all that much new. We had a 4 day week at Takatz because we were there for 6 last week. It is definitely getting warmer, which feels so nice. I put away my long underwear for now, which I’m happy about! I don’t have to wear as many layers of shirts anymore either. We can even walk around the pens in flip flops now instead of having to put out boots on every feeding!! We are finally starting to switch the fish food from the size 0 food to size 1 food. That’s like switching from powdery sand to coffee grounds. It’s much better to feed out because it doesn’t blow back at you as easily and the fish like it much better, since they are growing big. Now we’re only feeding 5 times a day also. That gives us ample time to sunbathe! ;-)

Friday’s boat ride back to the hatchery was a little bumpy but very sunny! When we were dropping off our stuff and collecting others, one of the good ol hatchery dogs started barking across the weir. Usually the crazy dog is barking about birds or…. Shadows… but this time we were curious. Bear? It’s about that time… well we didn’t see anything right then, but a little bit later there was a bear out across the lagoon. A skinny little bear was out eating some grass. They sure do come out of hibernation pretty skinny! I took pictures of it but I just realized I forgot my camera cable at Takatz, so next week.

Mother Nature must have decided she was tired of being nice, however, because it has been raining and windy for the past two days. Yesterday, Adam and I camped in and watched episodes of How I Met Your Mother ALLLL day! No point going into the rain if you don’t have to… and we have 6 Netflix so we were set! The wind doesn’t seem to be as strong now (3pm Sunday) but who knows if we’re going to be able to head back tonight.

For my weekly baking attempt, I decided to try a Chocolate & Peanut Butter Pie. Alright, so it was a no-bake pie but it wasn’t from a box! I needed some chocolate wafers, which we took as chocolate graham crackers maybe? Well, our good ol grocery store sent some chocolate covered graham crackers. I don’t think they worked out very well…… I decided to make 2 pies actually because I had enough stuff so one was that crust and the other was mostly oreos. I think the oreo crust turned out much better… that other crust doesn’t look like it will come off the pan so Adam and I will take that one. The other will go to my co-workers. But the filling of the pie turned out pretty good. Peanut butter, cream cheese, whipping cream, and chocolate chips are the main ingredients. I think it will be alright. Adam decided to make some cake doughnuts this morning in his fryer that turned out pretty good! There’s nothing better than some fresh doughnuts in the morning. :-)

I guess that’s about it for this week. Oh, if any of you happened to watch Grey’s Anatomy this past week… don’t worry, I know better than to touch baby bears! :-) If you didn’t watch it, there was a bear attack. Mama bears don’t like you messing with their cubs.

No Shout Outs today… how about you give ME a shout out!

ANYONE READING THIS NEEDS TO SAY HI ON MY COMMENTS OR VIA EMAIL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI!

My Grandma Peterson (Grandma Moser's mom) used to make fried cakes too. They were tough little things that were fried in a shallow pan in lard, of all things. You had to be careful about eating them because they were tough and chewy and you could actually end up choking on them if you weren't careful........ but talk about good! When you said Adam was making them, it reminded me of that childhood memory. I don't know if GMa Moser has the recipe, but I think a lot of it had to do with the lard. MMMMMMMMMM Good! If Adam's are anything like GMa Peterson's then they never seem to mold, or get old--- send me one in the mail!

Love to read what's going on. A couple more weeks of tree season and I can start breathing again. This has been the hardest, toughest season. Wish I had you to help.

Say "Hey" to Adam. Love you and miss you!

DAD

Anonymous said...

Suuuuuuup dude! you just sent me an im about 45 minutes ago, but you already signed off.

remember when mom used to make those doughnuts...i think elna helped? seroiusly, homemade doughnuts are the best!!

peace out!
V

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the last two episodes of Grey's since the bear episode? See Addison? I read your blogs, just don't always have time to comment with planting, office work, garden center, and helping dad with trees when I get a chance... MISS YOU bad!
Melissa