I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

IT'S MEEEEE!

HEY NOW, where are all these posts asking how Alaska is and how I am and all that!? ha just kidding.

Well, I'm here. I've been in Sitka since Thursday the 8th. We were suppose to fly out to the hatchery today but the weather wasn't good so we're gonna try again tomorrow morning. Despite the weather being rainy today and yesterday, the rest of the days it has been GREAT! It's kinda funny to sit here and look at that webcam shot now because I was just at that building yesterday. It's the Centennial Hall if you were wondering. And the scenery behind it.... that picture does no justice! It's so much prettier.

Anyhow, I have this nice long blog typed up on my computer but I want to get pictures with it otherwise I'll have to edit it. I'll have to do that when I get to the hatchery. (I'm on someone's laptop in the company apartment right now on some pretty low signal wireless internet.)

Just wanted to let you know though that things are good. I saw seals yesterday on our tour of one of the hatcheries in Sitka, Medvejie Hatchery (pronounced Med-vee-gee). That was a good tour and kinda helped me to confirm that what I came up here for doesn't make me crazy! I think I'll like it. On a hike on a local path on Sunday, we saw signs of whales in Sitka Sound... but we only saw the water shooting up from their blowholes. And there are bald eagles galore up here! It's pretty cool! Oh and the other day I ate mountain goat! ha ha Really, it was great! lol Alright, that's a good thing to end on. Talk to you all later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, I am glad you have arrived safely and are enjoying yourself! I will let Drew know that you ate Mountain Goat... let us know when you try raw salmon!
-Stacey

Anonymous said...

It was soooo good to talk to you the other night... you sounded great! I bet seeing all the wildlife is awesome... and much more interesting than the deer and squirrels around here! Hope you were able to fly out to the hatchery today! I love ya kid!