I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Thursday, February 15, 2007

At the Hatchery

I'm at the hatchery now. We managed to fly out of Sitka around 9am even though it was still rainy and such. We flew in on a Cessina... talk about a puddle jumper! It was kinda cool though. The conditions here at the hatchery are about the same. It's rainy. Since they don't get much direct sunlight these days, there is still quite a bit of snow on the ground.

The bunkhouse is nice, though I feel like I'm back at college. Right now, just Dean (the other new guy) and I are the only ones living here but there are offices connected also. Everyone else lives in seperate houses or a duplex across the way.

We got a tour and we'll start working tomorrow. I talked to the manager and he told me what I'd be doing. For a while (until March) I'll be doing stuff on-site but in March I'll start working out in Takatz Bay with Dean and the guy who runs that program, Adam. What they do is boat half the chum salmon that (I think) were hatched and raised from last season's eggtakes out to Takatz Bay where they get acclimated to saltwater out there and in May they will be released. So 4 days a week I'll be living on a floathouse out there and then I'll work 1 day at the hatchery. (But that also means I don't have to pay for food those days I'm out there! They pay for it.) My days off will be here at the hatchery I believe. It's about a 20 minute boat ride out there I guess. So that should be interesting.

Anyhow, guess that's all for now... OH so I don't have phone reception out here and I'm not sure when I'll get into town. So don't leave me important messages cause I won't get them for a while. Email is key now.

<-- P.S. I have no idea why my blog archive says 2005 and 2006... assume they say 2006 and 2007. It should say February 2007 also... not January. Dumb thing.

2 comments:

PappyMo said...

Hey Kid! Good to see you are where you are supposed to be. You already are sounding like a professional fish-squeezer! I know you made the right decision. Have a ball. We will all be following your adventures. Tell me if you meet Dudley or Sweet Polly.

Rebecca said...

YOU'RE GOOFY!