I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Monday, February 19, 2007

Darn frozen precipitation!

Well, today is proof that that webcam can be deceiving. The picture is showing some sun coming through the cloud but I woke up to snow falling! B to the double O! :-) BOO...! It's been snowing ever since I woke up... admittedly, that was around 10:30am. Anyhow, that'll probably make for a cold day of work tomorrow.

Well, today I spent a little while figuring out my weekly food order. As you know, we are remote which means we can't just run over to the grocery store. That's a bit tough... especially when you are used to living 30 seconds from the grocery store (like I was in Galesburg) and walking down shopping aisles looking at stuff. I'm used to doing that, seeing things and going "OH I do need that!" Well I had to figure out what I would want/need for the week and I'm hoping I won't forget anything. Before we came to the hatchery, we went shopping so I got some stuff and I also had some other food from the few days before at the NSRAA apartment in Sitka. Well the day after I GOT to the hatchery, I realized I had forgotten the mayonnaise that I bought at the apartment that I was going to bring with so I couldn't eat any of the tuna I bought. And I didn't find any in the fridge I could use. So that cut my meals down some. I was sure to put that on the list this time!

And if the weather is bad on Wednesday, when the flight comes in, like it was LAST week when we couldn't fly in, the food delivery gets put off. Or if the flight gets too full, things get left behind. Did I mention that last week I had to leave more than 1/2 of the stuff I brought to Alaska behind so we could fit everything in the plane!? Yeah, hopefully I get that stuff this week too...

Well, last night I had dinner at Deana and Dan's house up on the hill. Deana went all out and made (HUGE) crab that was just collected that day, venison, and grilled salmon. We had some good homemade bread too made by Angie. It was very good, but alot of work to crack all that crab just by my hands! It was good to hang out with some other people too. I had been feeling that everyone just seemed to stay in their own houses and never come out. There were 6 of us (out of a total of 12 at the hatchery). It was a nice night.

Alright, guess that's it. Sorry for the long lengths of these blogs. They don't look long when I'm typing them! I hope none of you get bored or fall asleep reading them! HA HA I'm going to see if I can post a few pictures today. I think I can do it if I do it in moderation. Can't go over the bandwidth limit! :-) MISS YA!

WEATHER- Snow... falling on top of more snow. It sure does look pretty on the pine trees though! I'm sure you can guess the temperature.

No comments: