I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Love of my Life

Lemme just tell you all that I am IN LOVE with my new camera! Despite the fact I can't figure out how to take a good clear picture in dark or dim lighting (aka at Ginger's wedding!) It works FABULOUSLY out here! I have been taking so many pictures. Really that's all I even have to talk about in this post...

I've been taking lots of bear pictures! The bears are back... and they are back more than last year I think. I can't remember seeing so many bears around the weir at one time. Maybe there are just more cubs this year which ups the count, but the other day, we had 8 bears (5 cubs and 3 adults) out there at one time. They didn't stick around together and play or anything... they are all a bit weary of each other, especially when it's mothers with cubs. They come and go pretty often... usually running off with a fish and then returning for more. Today I think I've seen... 11 or 12 different bears? We have the mom with 3 cubs, the mom with 2, the mom with 1... and then a few single bears walking around. There has even been a pretty BIG bear walking around... first time I've seen him. I'm pretty sure it's a him... he sure is bigger than any of the mother bears and built alot bigger and stockier.

Anyhow, my pictures...


First, I want to show you how fabulous my zoom is. :-) This is as far as my zoom will reach... they were dumping broodstock into the adult net pens, and then they'll go into the little cove.

Photobucket

THIS is where I was standing to take that picture. Nice right!?

Photobucket

Photobucket
Eagle shot... up in the tree across the weir.

Photobucket
This one is alittle grainy but still decent. The eagles are pretty large... compare the eagle to that crow behind it. And we have pretty large crows around here!

Photobucket
OK now some bears. This is the mom with 3 cubs... this set intrigues me because as you can see, mom and two cubs are brown and that 3rd cub is really dark brown and has a cool white/grey stripe across his chest. I don't really think this is the same set of 3 cubs as last year but I don't know. They are probably cubs from last summer though. I think the mom is on the rock?

Photobucket
This is the mom with 2 cubs. These are definately this year's cubs because they are pretty small. And super cute! She's a really tiny mom too.

Photobucket
Just like a little dog.

Photobucket
7 bears at once. Mom with 2 and Mom with 3. I was hoping to see some kind of mother bear stand-off since they are so protective over their cubs, but they stay away from each other for the most part.

Photobucket
I think this is SOOO cute! I love it when the little cubs stand up on their hind legs! Looks just like a little teddy bear.

RECOMMENDATION OF THE DAY - Almond Poppyseed muffins... they are fabulous. I made some good ones so if you want the recipe, email me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Red,

Good to have you back on the air safely too. Those are really nice pictures. I read were in some places in AK the bears are starving because the fish run is down. Think this might be why you are seeing more?

Try emailing the camera company or going on their website about you low light pictures. I bet someone has a solution.

Love DAD

Anonymous said...

Dude your camera is awesome! I love mine too, but I don't think I can zoom in that close! I have noticed I take a ton more pictures that I did with my old one... not I just have to get them downloaded to share with you!
Melissa