I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Friday, May 4, 2007

The Day The Crows Attacked

HEY HEY HEY!

Another week has passed... though nothing all that exciting to tell. This week seemed to go pretty fast... which I guess makes sense cause I worked 6 days last week so 4 days this week. My 2 days with Adam went like usual, except that the boat ride back to Takatz was BUUUUMMMMPPPPYYYY! Roughest seas we have had yet. It was interesting... a bit amusing even. Though I'm glad I wasn't driving! Then it was 2 days with Chris, the new girl who replaced Dean. This meant that I'd be driving the boat there and back without Adam (or Dean obviously) by my side! Thankfully the water was really calm both days I drove. But Chris is easy to get along with and hey, she's from Michigan! Saginaw area originally...

Oh, there has been a humpback whale sighting! YAY! When Adam and I were going to the hatchery, he noticed one but I didn't see it. Then on the way back with Chris, I kept my eye out to see if I could catch one. First I saw the spray of water which alerted me. I didn't actually see it SPRAY but it seems to linger in the air or something... almost like the water went up but took a while to go back down. Then I kept watching and I saw it come up a little but not that much.

Anyhow, that's about it... I have some pictures for you and I can add some more about the week as captions for the pictures.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I just thought this was sort of funny so I took a picture. Here at the hatchery, the crows will get into ANYTHING! That's why we can't leave bags of fish food out because they will tear them opened... even if you leave them for a minute! So not thinking anything of it, I put the garbage bag over my backpack, just so it wouldn't get wet on the ride back, and then I left it for a few minutes. When I returned, I noticed the crows had attacked! Funny.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Click on this picture after you read this to really see what I'm talking about... I was just feeding one day when I noticed this eagle sitting up in the tree. A few minutes ago it had been squawking at another eagle so that's what got my attention. Well that other eagle flew away... but I noticed that this guy was sitting funny in the tree. Sitting with his wings pushed out a little... I found it sort of funny and odd.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This will be alot more noticeable if you click the picture and make it bigger too. While I was taking the picture of the eagle, there was a rumble from an avalanche. So I looked over in the direction of the rumble and managed to catch a little bit of the avalanche! This past weekend at Takatz was the first time we have actually SEEN the avalanches... granted they were pretty small though. I saw 3. (I hope you all can see it...)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Chris and I took a boat ride to the back of Takatz Bay because I wanted to take some pictures of the couple waterfalls that I noticed were back there. This waterfall wasn't spilling much water but it was really pretty the way it was falling. You can actually follow the water all the way down too.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This was another smaller one...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Make this bigger... Did you know that Alaska has hummingbirds? It never occurred to me. We always have a few buzzing around and I tried and tried to get pictures before they took off. This guy was perched on the string of Christmas lights under the porch.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
And lastly, Chris and I got excited one day when we saw this Coast Guard come into the bay! We thought maybe some hot Coastie boys had heard our call and were going to come SAVE US! ;-) Sadly, right after this, they turned around and left. This was the 3rd boat we had in the bay this Takatz trip. The night before we had some random boat come in but we didn't notice it until we saw it driving away. Then the first night back with Adam, I randomly went outside around 9:30pm or something and saw a large boat driving into the back of the bay. The next day we heard a helicopter... the helicopter ended up making ALOT of trips back and forth to this boat, picking stuff up from it. Not totally sure what it was doing but Adam thought maybe it was something for the cell phone towers?

SOOOOO.... I had the usual folks commenting on my blog. I figured I'd get some more people... maybe some friends who were reading this or something... I was a little disappointed but oh well... I don't wanna FORCE anyone. And though there were a FEW guesses about the title to my last blog, only one person got it correct. So the nickle goes to Patty... who is Patty, you ask? I haven't a clue!! Whomever she is, she's a smart lady! She knows drum corps... that makes her smart! :-) HA HA SO, Patty... if you happen to read this again, thanks for comin back! Who are ya!? If you happen to know Patty, lemme know!

SHOUT OUT OF THE DAY - I'm going to send this shout out to the church group. You guys know who you are... the donut crew! :-) I know you're reading... thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey kid... thanks for the beautiful waterfall picture. I am having a crappy night, so I came online to see if you were still around to talk, but you must have left for Takatz... so I clicked on your blog to read... the waterfalls made me feel a lot better!
Love ya, Melissa

h'na said...

my bet is the helicopter was some sort of top secret spy mission, and they were delivering supplies (read: diamonds) to agents in the forest. *grin*

sounds pretty cool up there...is it scary at all to have whales in the water around you? the few times i've been in a boat with whales around it has been rather terrifying...but maybe that's just me. no one else ever seems to care.

Anonymous said...

BECKY!!!!!! I MISSED YOU!

Seriously, i'm finally connected to the world again and I was going through withdrawls not being able to read your blog. I thought that maybe you might think that I hated you because I haven't been online for a effin week and two days! But NO, thats not it. I still love you, but i just got my cable/internet installed today but it was a pain in the ASS.

Anyhow, I like your pictures (like usual)! I thought your book bag was funny and the other pictures were all really pretty. It looks GAWWWGEOUS up there!

MISS YOU!