I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Just another week...

So I'm sitting here slightly bored and I think, "Maybe I should write a blog..." But then I realize, "I've got NOTHIN! I don't really even have any good pictures!"

Well I do have a few pictures but that's about all.

We haven't been doing anything lately except feeding fish. Our boss came back from vacation a few days ago and even he hasn't really thought of anything good to do. But for the past few days, I've been helping Adam out with the Cost Recovery efforts. There are ALOT of Coho around, though they aren't ready to spawn. So we have a boat that seines them up. Lately, they've been putting them in the broodstock pens that we have out there to keep them alive, then we have a processing boat come and they net the fish out, cut their gills while still alive, and then the fish go down in the holds and taken somewhere. I guess they get more money for them this way, as apposed to the boat seining them up and just putting them in the hold of their boat (and they probably die?) Anyhow, I'm not sure how the whole money thing works out but since it's "cost recovery, " our company gets the money instead of the seiner (though they get paid for helping us out.) I guess we're getting $2 per pound... and the fish are averaging about 8 pounds (some bigger). So that's $16 a fish on average... We're talking a half a million dollars worth of fish here... or more. SOOOOOO... it's pretty essential! All I've been helping out with though is putting the fish into the pens from the seiner net.

Well that's literally about all I have to say! Here are a few pictures...

Photobucket
So the other day, this bear was right outside the window just eating a fish. It's the tagged bear that likes to come on site and cause problems. He really hasn't done anything except steal a bucket, but he shouldn't be on site. He doesn't seem to get scared away either. But I took a video of him through the window with him knowing I was there because I was making sounds. He wasn't fazed.

Photobucket
These are the two tiny baby cubs! Aren't they so adorable!? I call them my twin babies. See the size difference between mom and the two... I love watching them cause they are so clumsy and funny.

Photobucket
AWW!! Look at that cute stomach! :-)

Well that's all I have... next weekend is my birthday and Adam and I might head to town. We're still not sure yet though because he has to do rounds at night (meaning he has to make sure things are still working by walking around every night around 8... and he has to be on site all week) So unless he can change a few days with someone, we might have to put that trip off for a few weeks until the plane schedules work out again. I'll let you know so you all can call me on my phone! :-) If you feel the need to send me a birthday gift, I'd like some Red Vines (they are like twizzlers but a little different) I don't want twizzlers though... RED VINES! Maybe some gummy bears... and Adam would like some Reese's cups.

RECOMMENDATION OF THE WEEK - If you are looking for a good movie, I have a few.

If you want more of a kid-friendly movie, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium is a good movie! It's about a 243 year old man that owns a magic toy store. I thought it would be more KID-like and more animated but it is a pretty good movie!

If you are looking for a pretty funny PG-13-ish movie, What Happens In Vegas is really funny and good! It's about two people that end up getting married after a crazy drinking night in Vegas (after knowing each other for a day), win a $3mill jackpot, but end up having to live as a married couple for 6 months in order to get their share of the money. Well it's a funny, funny movie, and I recommend it! It's brand new.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kiddo,

Sometimes life is just doing the same ole stuff! Still, keep on with it. I don't know if I could spend all day cutting gills on the fish. I like catching them, but not cleaning them.

With Gov. Palin becoming the VP match with John McCain, Alaska is always on the news now. Sort of cool to have you up there--- "On top of the situation!".

Anyway, a care package is already on its way, but sorry no red vines. There are a few other goodies to remind you of home, but I wasn't sure of your favorite candy. Next one, though.

Hope you get to town and have some fun off the reservation for once. Say "Hey" to the Griz for me.

Love, DAD

Anonymous said...

Those baby cubs are so adorable... you want to hold them and then you think... wait they are BEARS! How cute!!!
Melissa