I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Friday, April 20, 2007

Pictures of the week

Here are some picture for you... Dean took this really cool picture of me tossing fish food into the water and the food is still in the air. I'm going to get it from him and show it next week.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
You wondered what the bedrooms looked like... this is it! :-D I'm standing as far back as I can... and the bed is up against the wall. The other room is the same size.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I just think this is a cool picture...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This is a sea anemone that has grown to the underwater part of the Takatz house. There are a bunch more but I think this was the biggest one. Sorry for the gross stuff floating on the surface of the water.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
While taking the sea anemone picture, I found this guy also hanging out on the side. A big ol starfish. I have seen some MASSIVE starfish since I've been here in Alaska... we have pulled a few out of the crab pots even!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I didn't realize this until Dean told me to drive the boat over there one day, but there is a small waterfall across the bay. I thought it was just ice or something but the water is really falling.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Sun makes the babies very happy! When it is sunny, they like to hang out on the very top of the water. Sometimes they are so thick on top that it almost seems like some of them are out of water. Click on the picture to make it a little bigger. My large version is alot nicer because the individual fish are more defined.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comments on the pictures. =)
1. I guess that little house really is cozy. You guys should knock out the wall, push the beds together, and have one big room that you share. hehehe.. Ok ok, I'm KIDDING! ;)
2. I couldn't figure that out. My eyes wouldn't adjust to what it really was supposed to be so I was confused....til I realized its a reflection! haha!
3. HOLY HELL ITS A GIANT UNDERWATER MUSHROOM!!!! Whats the purple stuff floating on top of the water?
4. Thats so crazy to just see a huge starfish just hanging out! It looks like you went to an aquarium and took a picture! Thats awesome!
5. Thats crazy! It just looks like a giant chunk of snow. For a second, before I read what you wrote, I thought it was an avalanche (sp?) or something! lol
6. HOLY BAAAAAAAAAABIESSSS!! The only thing I can think of is jumping into the water with them to go swimming and feeling them all squirming against my skin. EEEK!! Makes me cringe just thinking about it. Thats why I don't like swimming in lakes. lol

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, those are some AMAZING pictures!
1)My gosh, the bedroom is SMALL!
2)I can't believe how the water is so smooth and clear like glass.
3)What IS an anemone anyway? lol..it DOES look like a giant mushroom.
4)Wow, look at that beautiful starfish!
5)Can that many babies be in one place at the same time and still be okay? Feeding frenzy takes on a whole new meaning! lol
Love & miss you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, and I LOVE the waterfall pcture too. Can't get any more beautiful that that right there! Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey kid... did you see me waving to you on Saturday??? It sounds like you had much better weather on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday than I did while I was in California!!! It rained! Anyway... I must have brought the good stuff for you from Michigan... it just kept moving to Alaska instead of sticking with me in CA! Great pictures! Hope you week is going well in Takatz again!

Love ya!
Melissa

P.S. Did you know that Steven is going to prom this Saturday! I'll take some pictures for you!