I'm working as a Fish Culturist at Hidden Falls Salmon Hatchery in a remote spot near Sitka, Alaska! AM I CRAZY!? I'm starting to think so...

Monday, March 5, 2007

Things that go BUMP in the night...

** NOTE **

WOW... in the middle of writing this, I saw everyone heading down towards the dock and though no one came to get me, I decided I probably should go down there. Something wasn't right... it turns out that Dean, the guy who got hired in with me, broke his leg. Not sure how though... There is this barge here with a load of stuff for us and he mighta been doing some stuff on that. So they were going to get the Coast Guard to come in but probably due to the weather, they couldn't. So the Patriot (the barge) has to take him to Sitka, which in that boat is a 12 hour ride. There is no other way there. Just wanted to let you know that. Apparently it's pretty bad... not sure what's going to happen now cause it changes alot of stuff (so don't ask!)

** END OF NOTE **


Ok so it's actually "things that go thump thump thump thump... (30 minutes later) ... thump
thump CRASH!!!!

Remember yesterday when I said I thought all of the snow was off the roof? Yeah... well I was mistaken. And it decided to TELL me I was wrong at 3:30 in the morning! I woke up around 3 to this thumping sound... and I was just sitting there thinking "what in the heck is that!?" I think I sat there for 10 minutes thinking that... it sounded like someone was walking around in the hallway too. To be honest, I thought the person in the next room was having some kind of nightmare or fit or something because it sounded like someone was pounding on their bed. But then the walking sound... freaked me out a little and I started to wonder if this place was haunted and someone forgot to mention that! So I decided to go back to sleep... or try... since the sound was still happening. Sometimes it sounded louder... sometimes softer... sometimes faster... Anyhow, I had a hard time going back to sleep. I just felt confused and a little freaked out. I woke up a few other times I think.

THEN CRASH!!!! The snow decided to fall off the roof... and it proceeded, on occasion, for maybe an hour. This was like 3:30 in the morning. A great thing to wake up to. (This is where I left off and I sorta lost my train of thought so I'm gonna finish this up quick.) I said you could feel the place shake yesterday but today, in the dead of night, you could REALLY feel it! Well I didn't really put two and two together that the thumping noise was from the snow until they said it this morning. Everyone woke up to the thumping and of course to the snow falling. Someone said the thumping was from the snow sliding down the roof... probably hitting screws on the way. Then it made sense to me.

Anyhow, now my brain feels like mush cause of what just happened so that's all I got for you today. It snowed... then rained... then snowed some pretty wet stuff.

Sorry, no shout outs today. But I do have a picture I forgot from yesterday... the broken kitchen window.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

4 comments:

h'na said...

Yeep. I hope he's ok. And that, even though it "changes things" the things that change aren't for the worse, just for the different.


The snow is falling off the roofs (rooves? :) ) here like mad, too. And i thought it was all long gone. but no. almost sounds like thunder, but...thunder? in -6 degree vermont? i don't think so...

h'na said...

btw..."nadia" is me, Hannah...

Anonymous said...

So Eric and Aaron came over to the office yesterday and I was telling them about your 5 feet 10 inches of snow and they were like... "WHAT... I THOUGHT SHE SAID IT DOESN'T SNOW THERE!" And we all agreed it could stop snowing here any time too... or at the very least start thawing out! If it doesn't start/stop soon... we aren't going to be able to plant this spring for a long time!

P.S. Mike now owes a grain mill in Decatur called Northstar Grain, LLC. It became official last night.

Love ya - Melissa

Anonymous said...

The old steel quonset building down at the greenhouse range used to do the same thing. The snow would buildup on the roove and in big drifts, and when we heated the building or when the temperature was high enough it would start to slide off. It would make a big rumbling noise, and would scare the crap out of you if you didn't expect it. DAD